Tuesday, April 28, 2009

In Which I Return From A Long Absence

It's been a while and I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say that my internet, which I got back in February, is now finally, FINALLY reliably working (and wirelessly at that!). It's been very exciting-lots of catching up to do, and tv episodes to watch on Hulu. (Now I will never be separated from The Office again. Loved the bit w/ John Krasinski in a tux talking about what is "classy". It's the first two minutes of the episode, watch it and love it.)

I've completed a fair amount of projects lately and am so excited to have a blog to show them off in. First up is my Valentine's Day present to Jeremy, my boyfriend. (Yes, I am aware that Valentine's Day was in February and it's April, but hey, he STILL hasn't gotten me a present.) I made him a mini book.


The cover was the hardest part. I really wanted to make the top look like frosting, and I had my material and stuffing and I tried a bunch of things. I tried (on another piece of chipboard) punching holes in the edge of the chipboard and sewing through those, but it looked really tacky. Then I traced the shape onto fabric and sewed it like a pillow, but of course, it ended up too small because I traced it exactly and stuffed it. Finally, inspired by a post of Ali Edwards referencing a project by the Purl Bee, I came up with this solution of stitching around it and trimming the edge with pinking shears. I really like how it came out.













It's kind of hard to tell in the picture, but this "love" doily is actually a pocket and then I have pictures of him sticking out.








If you can't read it, it says "all I refuse and thee I choose."

No comments:

Post a Comment